Thursday, August 15, 2019

Translating Cuba Chronicle: 2019



 by Luke Dutch

Translating Cuba was an amazing trip, and I am so glad I got to with Mabel Cuesta and wonderful group of people. Exploring different parts of Cuba—Matanzas, Varadero, and La Habana—opened my eyes. I would definitely go back, and I may take my friends and family to the places I went.
 It was a rewarding yet humbling experience to see a Latin American country in the Caribbean. Seeing people’s way of life and interacting with the locals has taught me a lot about Cuban culture and made me realize that I should appreciate how much I have in life. I think that my time with the Cubans also made realize what kind of ambassador I am to the United States. I enjoyed sharing with them what the United States was like, and in return, I enjoyed listening to their experiences. I now fully understand what Mabel was talking about when she said we were all in store for a bit of a culture shock, but it was totally worth it.
Aside from learning about Cuba within itself, I made a ton of new friends. It was great hanging out with other UH cougars in Cuba. I got the chance to socialize and learn more about other people who are also majoring in Spanish. Hanging out with the group I went with taught me what it is like to be a family and stick together. There were times where I had to work hard to control my anxiety, but that was made much easier because I had people around me who were willing to support me.
The work we did was also a great part of the trip. I am interested in linguistics/language studies and hope to do something of the sort when I am in grad school. Translating literature and stories written by Cuban authors really helped solidify my understanding of grammatical structures, usage, and many other linguistic functions of both English and Spanish.
My favorite part of the trip, however, was the weekend recess at Varadero. Swimming in the clear, blue water and relaxing was delightful. It felt like the vacations I went on to the Caribbean when I was just a kid, not to mention Varadero is a beautiful part of the country.
Overall, I had an excellent time and grew a lot in Cuba. I made tons of new friends and now have an unforgettable and valuable experience under my belt. I totally recommend “Translating Cuba” to anybody who is willing to travel, learn about Cuban culture, and get hands-on experience with their Spanish.

Go Coogs!



No comments:

Post a Comment