Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cuba: You Must Live Her to Know Her

By Sarah Becker
Ph.D. Candidate

After an hour of soaring over waters every shade of blue, I suddenly caught sight of her. The butterflies of my spirit nervously flittered about. As the long stretch of land came closer, the outline of her body diminished. She was near. The moment was finally here.  


I felt


Nervous.


Excited.


Emotional.


Everything I had studied had led me up to this point. The life of this girl from the Midwest, with no Hispanic roots to speak of, suddenly made sense, and I felt it. After several years of studying the Spanish language, literature in Spanish and a wide variety of cultures connected to both, I was here.


 Cuba.  You must live her to know her.


 In June of 2012, I met her for the first time. As I stepped on to the runway, she embraced me with her arms of warm Caribbean winds and a sent a shock of energy through my feet, an unseen force that delights you, terrifies you, saddens you.


As I write these words, I must put myself back in that moment so that I may explain this pivotal time in my life. It may be cliché to say life-changing, but that’s exactly what it was.


After a semester of studying Cuba with Dr. Mabel Cuesta  -her literature, her films, her music, her history, mainly focused on period commonly known as the Special Period- my two feet had been planted on the ground of a land and a people that would change my life. As a PhD student in the Hispanic Studies program at the University of Houston, I have a vested academic interest in the Caribbean: my research centers on Afro-Caribbean religions in Hispanic literature. However, this trip –let’s say journey, because it is truly a journey- spoke to me in ways that cold, faceless academic research and classes could not.


Cuba. You must live her to know her.


As I walked the streets of Matanzas –the Athens of Cuba as it’s known– I met and spoke with poets, musicians, artists. I interviewed santeros and santeras, Babalawos, Paleras. I was given the opportunity to research in the archives of Ediciones Vigía and later present that research at the University of Missouri-Columbia about the visual aesthetics of Afro-Cuban religion as represented by Vigía over the years at the first Ediciones Vigía conference. I was taken on tours of amazing places of history, such as the grand Teatro Sauto by Rolando Estévez, the principal designer and one of the founders of Ediciones Vigía, and of course Dr. Mabel Cuesta, who opened her island to me, her life to me, her childhood to me, to show me what she at one time told me what is “la isla de las mil paradojas.” The island of a thousand paradoxes. After a semester of study about Cuba, I had an idea of what she meant. After a week experiencing Cuba, my heart understood what she meant, as I observed


People who have nothing, ready to share everything.


People who have little hope, somehow still living.


People who have the biggest hearts, who have been subjected to live lives of a government that does not have one.
To be sure: This was a great academic opportunity that I was fortunate to take part in. As a graduate student, this trip was invaluable. Since Cuba, I have further developed ideas for my dissertation and published papers in relation to the research I conducted while there. I have enthusiastically spread the word whenever possible of the incredible art-object book editorial house known as Vigía, its uniqueness, its literature, its art.


However, it was also an opportunity to reflect on the things many people take for granted. It was an eye-opening time to not just see, but experience the life of a Cuban. It was a huge lesson, one that I am using to plant the seeds of humility and selflessness in my children, so that they too may grow into better human beings.



Cuba. You must live her to know her.


 And when you leave, her spirit stays with you. I am anxiously awaiting the day I embrace her once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment