Friday, March 29, 2013

Hope

-->
 By Carla Peláez


In the spring of 2013, I was offered the opportunity of a lifetime, not only to visit my family’s home country but to also visit their hometown. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity since my family has never been able to go back so, despite some controversy within my family, I was granted permission to go. Before going to the airport on that Saturday, I got a few lessons in family history. I was told of where my family lived, how their belongings were taken during the revolution, how they were persecuted, and, lastly, how they fled the country. I had lived in Puerto Rico, a Caribbean island close by, for most of my life, and I have traveled across the Caribbean but I was still not prepared for the next seven days of my life.

The plane ride was more of a time capsule ride. Once you arrive, it’s like being thrown back in time to the 1960s. All the cars were antique, and the buildings were like the ones in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Even though Puerto Rico has suburbs and cities that are pretty modern, all of Cuba’s architecture was still that of when it was first built; the buildings had not been kept up with. It is a beautiful country with all the potential in the world, but it is imminent that its government has not correctly used it. It is sad to see the conditions in which some people live in, with no toilet seat covers, toilet paper, correct hygienic conditions, and a small studio per family, and this is if you were lucky. I saw some people living in wooden houses at one point. I cried many times during the walk around the city. And then to think, I could have been living like this my entire life if my family had stayed.

The people on the other hand are the most welcoming, loving and caring people I have met. In just one week, I became family with the members of Vigía. I did not know it was possible for people to start as strangers on Saturday, and end as family on Thursday. They worked really hard and gave of what they don’t have to make sure our trip was the best it could be. Even with their situations, they still shared with us and tried to invite us out as much as possible. The kind of gift you sacrifice yourself in order to give is the most special one there is. In the times I spent working, talking, singing, dancing, and laughing with them, I noticed that they are very well educated, and know a lot about their country, literature, music, art, etc. These people have changed my life, and I will forever be thankful for the opportunity of meeting them. Ever since we’ve been back, our group and the people we met in Cuba have kept in contact via e-mail. The thought of “What can I do to help them?” crosses my mind every now and then. I don’t even know if I am able to help them just by myself, but what I do know is that this exchange program gave them something that is sometimes hard to find there. Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment