Saturday, August 5, 2017

La Isla by M. Antonia Saavedra





Two weeks in Cuba have been the best rewarding days of my life. I departed without knowing really what to expect, the only thing I knew was that my classmates and I were going to translate Spanish to English. The day of the departure I couldn’t believe I was actually going to Cuba, until they put an oval sticker in my boarding pass with a Cuban flag. We made it to Havana in as little as  2 hours and about 20 minutes, I still can’t believe that Cuba “esta tan cerca pero tan lejos.” When the plane touched ground in Havana’s airport everyone in the plane started clapping with joy, I was too.  First thing I noticed out of the airport was the colorful classic cars, everywhere that I would look there was one, Chevrolets, Buicks, Fords and a few Russian cars. I felt like I was traveling back to the 1950’s, not just because of the classic cars but also because of the architecture of the bright colored dusty buildings and narrow endless streets. Everything once I watched in movies and tv, I was looking at with my own eyes.



What a better way to enjoy our first night out in la Havana, we visited the Jazz Café, where we enjoy beautiful Jazz music, while having a delicious first time dinner in Havana. Next day after breakfast in the B&B a long day awaited us. It was amazing, we visited some of the main points of interest like La Havana Vieja, Plaza de la Catedral y paseo del Prado. We walked a lot, but I don’t regret it, it was amazing to see all the colorful building, culture, music, art, classic cars and people, just what I had seen in tv, but this time I was looking with my own eyes. I didn’t want to leave Havana without taking a ride in one of the classic cars with the top down along the Malecon. So, some of my classmates and I decided to go out and ride a taxi classic car to give us a ride around Havana and the Malecon. The ride was awesome, the taxi’s owner was a young guy who was guiding us around and drove along the Malecon. We were so excited, I could feel the breeze and the wind on my face and my hair going everywhere. The young guy even became our own photographer and took some beautiful pictures with us in his blue top down taxi.






To say goodbye to Havana we visited Fábrica de Arte Cubano, this place was very interesting, I thought it was an art exhibit but for my surprise it was that and more. All the art in one place, art exhibits, live music, Dance, film and more, nothing I had seen before.
            Next day we made our way to Matanzas, the place where we were going to be most of our time. We arrived at the Hostal Azul our place of meetings, breakfast and Lunch. Then we walked to Ediciones Matanzas where a delicious lunch and poets waited for us. The lunch was fantastic, arroz moro is a must in Cuba and the banana chips, this is some of the traditional Cuban food. Also, we meet the poets whose work we were going to translate to English. Laura Fuentes and I became a team to translate Derbys Domínguez poems. We had a chance to talk to our poet and learn a little more about him, his poetry and what poems he wanted to translate. He was present and on time in Ediciones Matanzas every day that we would come to work in his poems. When we needed a better explanation of a phase or metaphor he helped us to understand what was the meaning so that the poem in English had the same feeling as in Spanish. We did come across some Spanish words that didn’t existed in English, so we had to select a word or phrase close to the meaning. However, Derbys was always there willing to help as well as Professor Cuesta and my classmates. It was challenging translating 9 poems to English but we did it. Out of the 9 poems we worked very hard in, “Una Isla” and “Diálogos bajo la llovizna,” because we were going to recite them on our last day at the Ediciones Matanzas. I’m very happy with what Laura and I accomplished with the poems, Derbys was very excited because he said that this was the first time someone had translated some of his poems. Also, that he had wrote the poems like 20 years ago. I never, in my life thought that one day I was going to translate poems, but this was a great experience, now I can say I enjoy translating short poems.  



For the next 2 weeks in Matanzas we had a full itinerary, Professor Cuesta did a good job on keeping us busy every day, but also, we had breaks and free nights to hang out. The activities occurred most of the time around 3 p.m., right after lunch in the Hostal Azul. Some of the activities and events we attended are as follow, a guided walk around Matanzas with the historian Silvia Hernandez Godoy and expert in Cuban history, she has been recognized and awarded for her history knowledge.
We visited the Ediciones Vigía a place where they handmade books, it was very interesting to know that every single book is decorated, colored by hand, also we meet the poet Laura Ruiz who spoke about her work as translator.
We were able to meet Georgina Herrera a Cuban poet who recited some poems at el Museo Farmacéutico and who has visited the University of Houston before. After Georgina’s poems, some good friends of Professor Cuesta, Lien and Rey started playing and singing for us and people that work at Ediciones Matanzas. It was a private concert just for us all, Lien amazing voice and Rey’s way of playing the guitar just outstanding. Also, it was the first time Lien and Rey’s daughter Luna was playing live with them, she was outstanding as well.   
That same day full of activities we visited la Casa Templo in Pueblo Nuevo, a walking distance from our Hostal, where we danced some Afro Cuban music along with the drums, it was very relaxing dancing following the beat of the drums, also it was very humid and hot but that didn’t stop us.






We all deserved a break from our busy schedule so we made our way to Varadero Cuba, for the weekend. Varadero, is a town that provides resort areas very close to the beach, we stayed in the resort Villa Cuba all included, in our own house with a private pool. It was the best thing, everything was inside the resort no need to go out. The beach was amazing one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen in my life, with crystal clear water and white sand. We spent most of our time in the beach getting a perfect tan, in the private pool and eating in the resort’s restaurants. Sunday was our last day in Varadero so we decided to wake up early and watch the sunrise, it was gorgeous, no words, just like the sun set that we had watch a day before.






We started the week at Ediciones Matanzas again, ready to work on the last poems and then a workshop on how to manufacture a handmade book took place in the Museo Farmacéutico, with the artist Rolando Estévez. I remember it was on a rainy afternoon, actually the only time I was able to see rain in Cuba. To manufacture the book, we had to use our imagination to create the decoration of the front cover by adding recycle material, like pieces of card board, color paper, water colors, acrylic paint, fabric, yarn, and gruel. Every book came out beautiful, each adding their own personal style.



Next day we took a ride in a old soviet bus from back in the days, to visit the Cuevas de Bellamar, the caves were amazing, we walked underground for a long distance going up and down rock stairs, that was a good work out day.
Another experience was visiting the Castillo de San Severino, la Ruta del Escravo, this place was like out of a movie, with lots of history, the historian Silvia Hernández was able to tell us the history of this place and tales. That same day full of emotion, we took a salsa lesson with the instructor Jean Marcos Monclus, he is very young but he is a great professional dancer. We learned some new moves it was incredible, my partner Isis and I had a little trouble doing the complicated turns but at the end we became experts.




One of the best food for lunch we had was at la Finca de Proyecto Comunitario Agropecuario, this event took place just outside Matanzas. Carlos León the owner of the Finca, along with sister and mother prepared the best lunch for us. All the food was basically grown there at the Finca, we drank mango, guayaba, pineapple fresh juice. We ate rice with corn, pork, banana chips, tamales, and other delicious dishes, including dessert.




            Our last day in Ediciones Matanzas arrived, what we all had worked so hard for the past two weeks finally came to an end. We recited two poems from our poets in front of a large crowd. The poet recited the poems in Spanish and my classmates and I in English, everything turned out awesome. We had a live concert between poems with the band Atenas Brass Ensamble, we also enjoyed our last meal at the Ediciones with lots of food.


            Before heading to Havana to take the plane to come back home, I enjoyed my last brunch at Hostal Azul, fresh fruit, coffee, mango juice, scramble eggs and toast with butter. After brunch and having my suitcase pack and ready, I decided to walk for the last time to the Parque de la Libertad. I sat in one of the benches and just watched all the people pass by, all the classic cars, everything around me. I could believe that the end had come, I was feeling a mix of emotions, thinking about all the things we had experienced in as short as two weeks. In a way, I was ready to come back home and on the other hand I just wanted to stay there for longer, away from the big city, my car, my job, technology and unhealthy food. I still wanted to get up, get ready to go back to Ediciones Matanzas and work in translations but that was not going to happen again. It was time to say goodbye to beautiful Matanzas, the people and friends we all made.



It’s been 2 weeks since I got back from Cuba and I still feel like I’m not fully ready to go back to my routine. Every time someone wants to know about my adventure in Cuba, I have to express all the wonderful things that the beautiful Island has to offer and the impact it has left on me, and that one day I will go back again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment