Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Cuba: An Unbelievable Experience


Noel Rodríguez

It’s been almost two weeks since my classmates and I got back to Houston. I had hoped that time would help me find how best to answer the question, “How was Cuba?” The first word that popped into my head two weeks ago is still the most accurate: incredible.

Cuba is a place without equal. It is a place that rises out of the Caribbean like a lush emerald when your plane inched its way closer to its coast. Cuba’s coastline is a smooth, undulating stage holding resorts and virgin beaches. The reason we came to Cuba, however, was not to stay in an all-inclusive, but to learn how to create books that reflect the art they house.

Our instructors, aside from our professors Mabel Cuesta and Guillermo de los Reyes, were the staff of the publisher, Ediciones Vigía. After an hour ride on a sky-blue school bus from Jose Marti Airport to what would become our home for a week, Matanzas, we finally arrived at Ediciones Vigía. The entire staff greeted us with broad smiles, a hug and a kiss on the cheek. They lead us inside where a large spread of ripe bananas, guavas, pineapples, papayas, cakes, and cubed ham and cheese awaited us. It may seem silly to list these things but Cuba isn’t like most places.

The embargo is felt on every street corner and, as a result, Cuban’s have learned to either do without or to make do with whatever is readily available. Furthermore, Cubans must purchase everything they need with a budget of about $10 dollars a month. As a tourist carrying dollars, everything seemed fairly inexpensive, however, for the average Cuban, a $5 meal is almost a month’s salary.

In spite of these challenges, Cuban’s tap into a joy and a strength that is as warm as it is remarkable. It didn’t take long for my classmates and I to feel part of Matanzas and for that matter Cuba. This is thanks to the younger members of Vigía who took us to their favorite spots. I cannot emphasize enough the fun they made the trip feel. Indeed, the greatest thing I took away from this trip is friendship.

When I left to Cuba, I traveled with twelve classmates and two professors. When I got there, I was welcomed by co-workers. Yet when I came back to Houston, I knew I was leaving behind some of the most talented people that I have the honor of calling my friends.  Likewise, learning from and getting to know my classmates and professors made me realize how truly lucky I am to be a student of the University of Houston: I have the good fortune to learn and count amongst my friends the highest caliber of people.

Cuba was incredible because you may not believe that someone can have the time of their lives in just one week. Which is why I leave you with what I’ve told everyone that asks me about my trip: don’t think twice about it and go to Cuba. 

No comments:

Post a Comment