Friday, April 17, 2015

Cuban Food for the Soul


 Keila Williams
Before arriving in Cuba, my interest in travelling had always been fueled by my passion to experience cuisine from every corner of the world. Being able to understand this one facet of a country’s culture has been my way of connecting to people. Unfortunately, this view of travel was not exactly cohesive with Cuba. The political turmoil in Cuba has left the citizens without basic resources including ingredients that were once accessible staples of many Cuban kitchens. Although this may seem like the most insignificant issue that the citizens are confronted with today, it brings up a larger concern: are the government’s political maneuvers (or lack thereof) causing the downfall of a once vibrant society? Is Cuban culture dying?

Once I realized the dishes that we consider “Cuban cuisine” were a thing of the past, I found the essence of Cuba through other mediums. Our hosts at Vigía Ediciones were unequivocally welcoming and taught me everything I could learn about Cuban culture. The amazing people of Vigía who graciously gave us their time and energy showed me Cuba. They explained the confusing history of the country which has led to their complicated socioeconomic status today. I began to admire the people. The people that I spent my time with were intellectuals who were not only preserving Cuban culture, they were creating it. The artistry in Vigía books is one of a kind. The pages of these books told a story before words were ever printed on them. I learned that the culture of a society does not stand in the economic status of the country, but in the people who live there. Furthermore, any attempt to silence or erase said culture only fuels the determination of the people to keep it alive.  
I will miss a constant rumble of robust voices, intimidating roars of horns and the ethereal scent of guava throughout the streets of Matanzas. I will take with me a new view of what travelling means. It is much more than a plate of authentic food. It is the impact that a place and its’ people make on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment