Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Thank you CUBA!


Yasely Carrizales

A month now since we left Cuba, and I can honestly say I want to go back. When arriving to Houston the first question I was asked by family and friends was “How was it?” , I could only take a deep breath, close my eyes and remember….Matanzas, Varadero, Las Cuevas de Bellamar, La Habana, Ediciones Vigia, Ana Maria, Iosmey, Hector, Adrian, Alejandro, Lorena, Elizabeth,  Dona Margarita, la tía Yolanda, the cars, the sky, the museums…… CUBA!

Taking a step back to the beginning of class I remembered professor Cuestas saying “we will dedicate 15 minutes of each class to talk about preparations for our trip to Cuba.”, but in fact our 15 minute conversations turned into 30 or 45 minute long with 12 other strangers. As the trip approached my heart pounded faster and faster…Before we knew it we were in Tampa , FL less than 24 hours away from physically touching Cuban grounds, less then 24 hours away from being completely disconnected from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and WhatsApp, less than 24 hours away from starting the experience of a lifetime.

While arriving to Jose Marti Airport in Habana, Cuba everything seamed so surreal. Riding the sky blue school bus that said “End The Blockade Against Cuba” on one side and inspirational quotes handwritten on the inside made me not want a fancy air-conditioned tourist bus like the ones parked next to us. Feeling Cuban air in our faces and taking in all the amazing views was breathtaking; as I looked around the bus I could see the excitement on everyone’s faces.

Our stay consisted of working at Ediciones Vigia for four days, were I learned to value everything and everyone. Working on hand crafted books made from scarps of paper, old cardboard, coffee, a couple of brushes and diluted glue made me realize anything could become what you want if you put your heart to it. Our new co-workers weren’t only co-workers and tour guides, in just a few hours they became very good friends.

Having to work in the morning, being a tourist in the evening and enjoying the Cuba’s nightlife was unbelievable.  Honestly, while planning the trip I had no expectations of what anything would look like or what I would be eating, but while being out there I was more than satisfied… the people, the culture, the views, the beaches, the food was all……. Indescribable. Our pictures from Cuba would do no justice to what our eyes saw.

“Hay un cubano en La Habana, vendiendo habanos prohibidos se le han quedado en la cama, tantos sueños dormidos un cubano en la Habana, que es inventor de futuros bloqueado a la americana el enemigo cianuro, un cubano en La Habana…. Un cubano en La Habana que no es culpable de na’ “

No comments:

Post a Comment