Friday, July 1, 2016

Flashback to My Cuban Days



My two-week adventure in Cuba has been an invaluable, and beautiful experience. I learned an inordinate amount about Cuban culture in a short span of time. Cuban culture is nurtured in a humble environment. This culture consists of inspiring art, political hardships, soulful music, daily struggles and the kindest of people.


The people of Cuba are a joy to talk to. They shine a light on what it truly is like living in a communist country. They face daily struggles that include working for little pay and bad living conditions. Cuba being a communist country, the government only provides them with the bare necessities. These necessities are hardly enough to have a good living. However, the hardships Cubans face every day only fuels their spirit. The people of Cuba are humble and alive. They overlook their struggles and push forward everyday with a smile. I was beyond inspired seeing how neither their government nor their poverty kept them from being happy. After a normal workday they might find themselves dancing in the streets, relaxing with family, meeting new people, or simply enjoying life. Cubans enjoy each others company more than any other place Ive ever been. The people of Cuba truly know the meaning of living and finding joy in simplicity.

During the trip, I constantly found myself trying to place myself in their shoes and was incapable. I could not imagine being disconnected from the world. I could not imagine how I would live without 24/7 internet access, a comfortable living, an endless supply of food, etc. Coming from America I felt beyond spoiled. However, I started the trip feeling like a tourist, and by the end I ironically felt connected. After two weeks in Cuba I cannot say I lived it all, but I can say I got a taste of living. 

After traveling from coast to coast I experienced a once in a lifetime Cuba. Being a disconnected land it was a raw and beautiful place. The Cuban beach was natural. The Cuban music was filled with life and rhythm. The Cuban traditional meal Ropa Vieja was delicious.  The Cuban heat was inescapable, but it made cold showers feel heavenly.  The Cuban art scene was filled with voices and loud colors. Cubas cars were retro and breathtaking. In its entirety Cuba is a different world and I am blessed to have experienced it with amazing people.




Karely Martinez  

No comments:

Post a Comment