Sunday, July 3, 2016

My time in Cuba

As a social work student, traveling to Cuba was a once in a lifetime experience that I believed would benefit me in my professional career. I also thought I would finally get the opportunity to see why Cuba has always been a mystery to people and understand how life there works. For months I was anxious to be able to travel abroad and get to know the country that I knew so little about.

I went to Cuba thinking that I would soak in and learn more about the culture, while enjoying some delicious meals on the side. However, as I embarked on this journey I did not realize the personal impact that it would have on me and the lessons that I would learn. For instance, I learned how to adapt, become resourceful, be more patient and find joy in the small things.

For the most part, the majority of the positive experience I had was due to the amazing people that I met. The people of Cuba are so full of joy and so full of life despite the hardships that they face. I never felt out of place and always felt welcomed by everyone we met.

The friendships that I formed and the conversations that I had with these people made me become more open-minded, more willing to help those who are in need, and more eager to advocate for the people that cannot do so themselves.

I left Cuba with a greater sense of purpose, a handful of great friends, and an even more grateful heart. My experience in Cuba is something I would not trade for the world. The people and the country itself will always be a part of me.

-Martha Medrano


First night in Cuba with my new pals.
Matanzas, Cuba
Varadero, Cuba
Cubans love Frida Kahlo as much as I do!
Fidel Castro's family home. 
Trinidad, Cuba 

View from balcony of Ediciones Vigia.

La Habana, Cuba 

Matanzas, Cuba 

Santiago, Cuba 



River in Matanzas. 


Classic car in Cuba.


When our bus broke down I took pictures of people that passed us by.


La Habana, Cuba 

Matanzas, Cuba 

No comments:

Post a Comment