Monday, July 4, 2016

My Life in Cuba




The buildings in Cuba were astonishing; the details in each building were impeccable. I believe the buildings were a major part of what made Cuba so beautiful to me. From the moment I stepped outside the airport, the buildings were nothing the naked eye was use to seeing. Most of the students on the trip kept their eyes behind their camera lens, admiring all the beautiful and unique buildings in Cuba.



I was amazed at the amount of food they served during breakfast. I am not one to waste food, and I hated seeing so much food go untouched. Although the quality of the food was not always the best, I knew the economic status of Cuba, and I could only imagine what went through their head as they threw our left overs away. The fruit in Cuba was amazing; I love fruit and Cuba definitely had a variety of fresh fruit. That is one thing that never went to waste on my plate. 




My experience in Cuba was a much different one than I had anticipated. I went with an open mind and ready to experience Cuba to the fullest. I quickly realized how privileged we are to have all the opportunities we have in the United States. We have the freedom of television, newspapers, internet, work and choosing what we wish to study. It saddened me to see how much the government controlled their people in Cuba. Many of the houses we stayed at, we had conversations with the residents, and they explained how limited they were in their opportunities to study as they wished. I could not imagine someone dictating what I would have to do as a career for the rest of my life. 


Music was a big part of Cuba and something I truly enjoyed. I come from a family of musicians, and music is always involved in most of our daily activities. Listening to live music while eating at restaurants or touring the city made me feel at ease and a sense of peacefulness. Watching the cuban people use what they had to create a beautiful sound to ones ear was astonishing to watch. 



The Cuba trip would not have been the same without this amazing group of individuals. I have never traveled with a group of individuals that I did not personally know, much less spend 15 days with them. I was worried, nervous, excited and just a load of mixed emotions about it. I can truly say that in the end, each one played a positive role in my experience throughout the trip. New friendships were created and many memories that will forever be carried with me. 





People in Cuba are some of the most humble and self-less people I have met. To know they don't have much but are willing to give what they have was a rewarding experience for me. I met many people and some of which I have continued to keep in contact with. Although Cuba is restricted with many opportunities, people live happily and complain rarely. It made me have a broader perspective in life and to learn to appreciate the little things in life. 



Outdoor play was a norm in Cuba. It reminded me of my childhood days when I would always play outdoors with my friends. Nowadays in our society, so many of us are so caught up with technology and/or social media that we do not socialize with one another as much as we use to. It made me happy to see people out in the streets playing and enjoying the company of one another.







Cuban caves


Varadero Beach





This Cuba trip has helped me reflect on my life and on myself as a person. It has also helped me reflect on my past and my future and it will play a role in becoming a better social worker. This has definitely been a life experience for me and I can truly say this was the cherry on top of the icing for me as I start my new career journey. 


Jennifer Muñoz

No comments:

Post a Comment