Sunday, August 12, 2018

Cuba 2018 by Valerie S. Syptak

The cool thing about experiencing Cuba this Summer is that I had no idea I would be going to Cuba until literally two weeks before the study abroad trip. It was as if the experience fell right on my lap. I was only looking for an advanced elective that I felt I could easily manage during the summer semester. I received an email from the professor Mabel Cuesta the very same day I enrolled for the class, stating that if I want to take the class I would also have to go to Cuba for two weeks. I became very interested, I’ve heard so many great things of Cuba; like the people, food, and the beaches. Knowing that Cuba is not currently a typical place Americans travel made me feel exclusive. I called Ms. Cuesta as soon as I got a chance and she told me all about the class and what the trip entails. She made what I thought would be impossible possible by inviting me to join the course.


The day arrived to fly out from Houston to Havana and I couldn’t have been more excited. It was only about a two and a half hour flight. As soon as we landed at the airport in Havana I knew this place was completely different than anything else I have ever experienced. When exiting the airport to get ourselves and things in the “guagua” there were hundreds of people anxiously waiting to see their loved ones. Although, I felt like if they were all paying attention to us (the University of Houston students). I quickly noticed how beautiful the Cuban people are and how flirtatious the men are. As we walked towards our bus my smile was from ear to ear looking at all the old 1950’s cars parked. While on the road I couldn’t contain how happy I was, I started taking pictures of all the old cars on the road and people simply walking. We arrived at our housing destination for the weekend in Havana. While walking to my apartment I saw children walking the neighborhood alone without a care in the world, they seemed so comfortable and happy, and that made me happy. One of the nights in Havana we decided to take a stroll by seeing what your everyday Cuban does for enjoyment on the weekend. The seawall in Havana is a place for all and a place to be yourself and enjoy the moment with friends, family, or a date. It was really cool to see the enjoyment firsthand.

It became time to serve our purpose in Cuba so, we headed to the city of Matanzas where we spent the majority of our time translating Cuban authors short stories from Spanish to English. The authors I helped translate for are Cecilia Borroto and Nester Nunez, which were both very great writers with meaningful short stories.

After our first week of work in Matanzas it was time to experience Varadero Beach. Every Cuban I have met has always told me how beautiful the beaches in Cuba are but I didn’t think it would be as breath taking as I experienced in Varadero Beach! The water was crystal blue, the waves were small if there were any at all, there was no seaweed, and the sand was white. The color of the water resembled a luxury pool but better. Honestly, I think I could live along that beach, Varadero beach was absolutely perfect!

When we returned to Matanzas from Varadero we continued our purpose of translating. I enjoyed the challenge to help translate their stories with my team. The most fun part about the translating was when we finalized our translation we each got the opportunity to read our translation aloud to all the authors and students present, it was a special moment. Prior to this reading I was given the opportunity to read alongside Derbys Dominguez Fragela at the Patio De Jovenes stage. We read Sea Rose by Hilda Doolittle, Derbys read in Spanish and I in English. It was so unexpected and I enjoyed every bit of it. I felt like it was my night. That same night we all continued the festivities at the malecon where we had refreshments, listened to music and sang along. The malecon became our norms when we wanted to just all hang out and enjoy the evening. 

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I’m so glad I took it. Cuban people are talented, the food is delicious, and the beach is beautiful! Cuba was an amazing experience and I feel so blessed to have been a part of it.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment