Sunday, August 12, 2018

Cuba is unforgettable by Paola Serrano


Cuba is unforgettable, not only because of its natural beauty and culture, but because of its poverty. During my time in Cuba, I noticed some drastic differences between the social life in the United States and Cuba. The people of Cuba are extremely outgoing. They talk to everyone! People actually go to parks or the town center to socialize. It’s beautiful to see a country that isn’t polluted by technology. When I first got to Cuba, I thought of how bad the airport terminal was. I was unsure if I had made the right decision by going on this study abroad. The heat was intolerable, I thought I could handle it because of our Houston heat but Cuban heat doesn’t compare. As we made it La Habana, I observed the city for what it was, a torn down mark of history. I was impressed by the architecture but it’s a shame that the buildings haven’t all been preserved the way they deserve. Also, I finally got to see those famous American cars that were left behind. I loved seeing those cars everywhere, it’s as if I was in another world. La Habana is a historical city but I was much more impressed by Matanzas. We stayed in colonial homes with real Cuban families. They made me feel right at home not just because of their hospitality but because of their delicious cooking. I enjoyed going to the translation workshop everyday and sharing ideas with the people around me. The writers’ speeches gave me insight as to what it is to live in a country with limited resources and how their writing is an expression of their inner struggles. I learned something new everyday. We went to Varadero and it wasn’t at all like the Cuba I had known for the past week. It was very rich and full of tourists. I couldn’t believe it. The beach was absolutely gorgeous. I fell in love with Varadero. It’s a weekend that I will always remember. I wish we could’ve stayed there longer but duty called upon us to return to Matanzas. Once we arrived, we continued to work on our translations like we had previously done so. I thought it would be a regular week just like the last one but I experienced a moment that I’ll never forget. I had brought donations from home, clothes for a young girl. I donated it to the daughter of one of the writers and I talked with her mom about life in Cuba. She shared with me the good and bad about her beloved country, it was hard to hold back the tears. It was a nice talk, one that I can never un-hear. I’ll never forget the valuable lesson that I learned in that tiny, beautiful island. It’s hard to come back home to my life and live on knowing that there are people elsewhere living in extreme conditions, people that I actually met. It still is. Cuba wasn’t just two weeks. I know that now. It’s forever. “


No comments:

Post a Comment