Sunday, August 12, 2018

The best thing about Cuba by Dania Higuerón

In the last year, I’ve flown to many places within the US and Mexico. However, never have I witnessed such happiness and joy from passengers as we landed in the Jose Marti International airport. Individuals native or descendants of Cuba, cheered and clapped as the plane touched ground. A sight that brought excitement and foreshadowed the next two weeks of our study abroad trip. The hot and humid temperature when we disembarked the plane was the only reminder of home we would keep with us during the trip.
Prior to the trip, we were assigned to watch a series of films and documentaries that would broaden our perspective of the culture, people, history and politics of Cuba. As a first generation Mexican-American, I’m very aware of the dynamics and the struggles which third world countries face. Due to my personal experiences from Mexico, the knowledge obtained from the films and my humble personality, I did not find myself  shocked in regards to the political and economic aspect of the country. Furthermore, hearing the day to day stories from the natives, made me understand the complexity of the system. 
The best thing about Cuba one could say are the people, aside from rich culture. Because of their humbleness, generosity,  and liveliness I fell in love with the essence of this tropical paradise. The group of individuals we worked alongside in the Editorial Vijia are a prime example of the selflessness I witnessed in Cuba. Honestly, I can say that if it wasn’t for them, our trip would consist of us being confined to our hostal, not getting to know the wonders that lie on the outside. The set group of five and sometimes seven, insured that we were making the most out of our time there. It was the small things like singing and talking until 2:00am near the malecon, or eating dinner in their humble apartment and singing karaoke until my voice was gone, which made me feel safe and right at home. The feeling grew greater as the days went by, so much that by the end of the trip, I found myself sobbing as we departed because I did not want to leave this newly found home.


Prior to arriving to Cuba, I did not know much about how culturally rich this country was. It seemed that every corner we turned, there was something historical to be said about a building, a person or the area in general. There was so much to learn about what essentially was the beginning of a civilization and the end of many. To be able to stand in the same place where many historical figures once stood, was something that made me feel beyond grateful to be there. Although, I should’ve taken more pictures of these places, I listened and appreciated through my own eyes instead of through a screen like many. Living in the moment is something I’ve always done during my travels, but it’s a quality I came to appreciate while in Cuba.
Many not  native to the beautiful province of Matanzas argued that there was no sense in visiting this “boring” town. However, this place is far from boring. Matanzas was filled with literature rich history and holds much appreciation for the fine arts. It seemed like every evening there was an event focused on literature, music or dance. The authors whom we worked with, left an impact not only on the town, but on us as well. They’re style of writing and purpose was as beautiful as Cuba itself. Having the task of translating their work was an honor that I will hold with me for the rest of my life. Working with authors such as; Daneris Fernandez and Norge Cespedes and being able to translate and give feedback on their work was not only challenging, but a rewarding experience as well. Not to mention being able to personally interact with authors such as; Yanira Marimon in her home and being able to swim in the manantial and speak with her mother about the history of their home and her family. 
            There are so many things I wish to say about my study abroad adventures in Cuba. However, if I say them all, I will disappoint the readers because no matter how descriptive I am, I will never be able to capture the essence of my experience.  Fortunately, I will always have the memories of this beautiful experience channelled into a small emblem permanently marked on my body. This trip marked so many milestones and achievements not only academically but also personally. Thanks to la Profesora Cuesta, her partner Neysi, the staff at the editorials, the authors and every person I came in contact with, I’m determined to return and live out this experience once more in the near future.
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment